- Feral Animals in the American South: An Evolutionary History. Studies in Environment and History series, Cambridge University Press, 2016.
- “Digital and Computational Perspectives in the History and Philosophy of Science,” co-edited with Jane Maienschein and Manfred Laubichler. Focus Section of Isis (September 2019).
Articles & Chapters
- “On the Hoof: Equine Mobility and the Fate of the Confederacy.” In Animal Histories of the Civil War Era, edited by Earl J. Hess (Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 2020).
- “Feral Animals and the Engineering Ideal.” In Nature Remade: Engineering Life from Gene Drives to Gaia, edited by Luis Campos, Michael R. Dietrich, Tiago Saraiva, and Chris Young (Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 2020).
- “The History of Science and the Science of History: Computational Methods, Algorithms, and the Future of the Field,” with Cindy Ermus. Isis 110 (September 2019).
- “Introduction to Focus Section: Digital and Computational Perspectives in the History and Philosophy of Science,” with Jane Maienschein and Manfred Laubichler. Isis 110 (September 2019).
- “Biology in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.” Review essay in Biology & Culture section, Journal of the History of Biology (June 2019).
- “The Moonshine Capital of the World: A Visual History of Untaxed Whiskey in Franklin County, Virginia.” Environmental History 24 (July 2019).
- “Swamp Things: Invasive Species as Environmental Disasters,” with Cindy Ermus. In Environmental Disaster in the Gulf South: Two Centuries of Catastrophe, Risk, and Resilience, edited by Cindy Ermus (Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 2018), 103-130.
- “Path to the Present.” In Cambridge Handbook on Evolutionary Ethics, edited by Michael Ruse and Robert J. Richards (New York, NY: Cambridge University Press, 2017), 72-86.
- “Roots of Multilevel Selection: Concepts of Biological Individuality in the Early Twentieth Century,” with Christina L. Kwapich and Martha Lang. In The Historical and Conceptual Place of Multi-Level Selection in Evolution, edited by Ciprian Jeler (London, UK: Macmillan, 2017), 13-45.
- “Beasts of Burden: Feral Burros in the American West.” In The Historical Animal, edited by Susan Nance (Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 2015), 38-53.
- “Sociobiology and Evolutionary Psychology,” with Michael Ruse. In A Companion to the History of American Science, edited by Georgina Montgomery and Mark Largent (Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2015), 252-262.
- “Edward O. Wilson and the Organicist Tradition.” Journal of the History of Biology 46 (2013): 599-630.
- “Roots of Multilevel Selection: Concepts of Biological Individuality in the Early Twentieth Century,” with Christina L. Kwapich and Martha Lang. History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences 35 (2013): 505-532.
- “American Gibraltar: Key West during World War II.” Florida Historical Quarterly 90 (2012): 393-425.
- “Data Science and the 3-Point Revolution.” Age of Revolutions (February 25, 2019).
- “Sounding the Old Wolf Cry.” The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives Blog (November 14, 2013).
- “Dog Days at the Zoo, Part II.” The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives Blog (September 18, 2012).
- “Dog Days at the Zoo, Part I.” The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives Blog (September 11, 2012).
Invited Book Reviews
- “Book review of The Re-Origin of Species: A Second Chance for Extinct Animals, by Torill Kornfeldt, translated by Fiona Graham.” Quarterly Review of Biology (2019).
- “Book review of The Herds Shot Round the World: Native Breeds and the British Empire, by Rebecca Woods.” H-Environment Roundtable Reviews (2019).
- “Book review of Wild by Heart: North American Animals Confront Colonization, by Andrea L. Smalley.” Journal of Southern History 84 (August 2018): 704-706.
- “Book review of Fascist Pigs: Technoscientific Organisms and the History of Fascism, by Tiago Saraiva.” Journal of the History of Biology 51 (2018): 183-185.
- “Book review of Runes of Evolution: How the Universe Became Self-Aware, by Simon Conway Morris.” Quarterly Review of Biology 92 (2017): 321.
- “Book review of Animals as Food: (Re)connecting Production, Processing, Consumption, and Impacts, by Amy J. Fitzgerald.” Agricultural History 91 (Winter 2017): 133-134.
- “Book review of The Readable Darwin: The Origin of Species, edited by Jan A. Pechenik.” Quarterly Review of Biology 90 (June 2015): 217.
- “Book review of On the Frontier of Science, by Leah Ceccarelli.” Quarterly Review of Biology 90 (March 2015): 78-79.