- Feral Animals in the American South: An Evolutionary History. Studies in Environment and History series, Cambridge University Press, 2016.
Peer-Reviewed Articles & Chapters
- “Swamp Things: Invasive Species as Environmental Disasters.” In Disaster and Risk in the Gulf South: Two Centuries of Catastrophe, Risk, and Resilience, edited by Cindy Ermus. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 2018. (co-authored with Cindy Ermus)
- “Path to the Present.” In Cambridge Handbook on Evolutionary Ethics, edited by Michael Ruse and Robert J. Richards. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- “Beasts of Burden: Feral Burros in the American West.” In The Historical Animal, edited by Susan Nance, 38-53. Syracuse University Press, 2015.
- “Sociobiology and Evolutionary Psychology.” In A Companion to the History of American Science, edited by Georgina Montgomery and Mark Largent. Wiley, 2015. (co-authored with Michael Ruse)
- “Edward O. Wilson and the Organicist Tradition.” Journal of the History of Biology 46 (2013): 599-630.
- “Roots of Multilevel Selection: Concepts of Biological Individuality in the Early Twentieth Century.” History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences 35 (2013): 505-532. (co-authored with Christina L. Kwapich and Martha Lang.) Reprinted in The Historical and Conceptual Place of Multi-Level Selection in Evolution, edited by Ciprian Jeler. London: Macmillan, 2017.
- “American Gibraltar: Key West during World War II.” Florida Historical Quarterly 90 (2012): 393-425.
- “Sounding the Old Wolf Cry.” The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives Blog (November 14, 2013)
- “Dog Days at the Zoo, Part II.” The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives Blog (September 18, 2012).
- “Dog Days at the Zoo, Part I.” The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives Blog (September 11, 2012).
Invited Book Reviews
- “Book review of Fascist Pigs: Technoscientific Organisms and the History of Fascism, by Tiago Saraiva.” Journal of the History of Biology 51 (2018): 183-185.
- “Book review of Runes of Evolution: How the Universe Became Self-Aware, by Simon Conway Morris.” Quarterly Review of Biology (2017).
- “Book review of Animals as Food: (Re)connecting Production, Processing, Consumption, and Impacts, by Amy J. Fitzgerald.” Agricultural History 91 (Winter 2017): 133-134.
- “Book review of The Readable Darwin: The Origin of Species, edited by Jan A. Pechenik.” Quarterly Review of Biology 90 (June 2015): 217.
- “Book review of On the Frontier of Science, by Leah Ceccarelli.” Quarterly Review of Biology 90 (March 2015): 78-79.